What Makes a Good Online Dating Profile Pic? [Guest Post]
This guest post acts as a great follow up to “Tips To Make Your Dating Profile Interested” and written by blogger Emily Macintosh. Emily Macintosh writes the dating blog My Life On Match & More . She is a cute, 30-year-old, successful, LA-based online dater. Her stories are all true and some traumatizing!
Last week I went on two dates. I was excited about both. They both looked cute in their online profiles and it seemed like we had a few things in common. Oh, how pictures can be deceiving! Neither date looked ANYTHING like his picture online. One guy even told me that his picture was 10-years-old! So, to help you guys (and girls!) out there who are also in the online dating world, here are a few profile tips to help find you your real match.
While all dating sites are different, the profile picture rules all remain in the same.
- Make sure your profile picture (and all other photos) has been taken in the past year and a half.
- Post a clear shot of your face, shoulders up. Stay away from professional headshots and profile photos. We want to see the real you!
- Steer clear of hats and sunglasses in your main photo. If you’re bald and/or cross-eyed we’re going to find out when we meet you in person anyways… no relationship should be based on lies.
** Girls! This is true for you too! Post of picture of what you look like now, not what you looked like 5 years and 20lbs ago. It’s not fair to either one of you! And… online dating sites are not a model search. Be yourself and maybe you’ll find your match.
Once you have your profile picture down, we would love to learn a little more about you. Some other tips include:
- Post of picture of something you love to do. Snowboarding, camping, etc. Then we know what kind of activities we’ll be doing together.
- If you have close relationships with your family and friends, post those pictures and don’t forget to label them. Sisters get mistaken for ex-girlfriends all the time.
- Do you have a pet? Show us! We need to know who else is shacking up with you!
Now some things you should stay away from:
- Please don’t post a picture of your penis. If we like you, don’t worry, we’ll see it!
- Don’t take a picture of yourself in your bathroom mirror with your iPhone or Blackberry. This makes you look like you have no friends. If you’re going to be online dating, you’re going to need pictures of you being you.
- Stay away from posting pictures of you and other girls. This can send the wrong message that you’re already taken.
With these simple photo rules you should be off to a good start in finding someone that really is your match! My profile rules are coming soon… stay tuned!
Photo Credit: katieblench